Terms and Conditions
JP Urban Moving Terms & Conditions
Please read this document carefully. By moving with JP Urban Moving, you agree to be legally bound by the Terms and Conditions of this agreement.
Household Goods Liability & Coverage
Whether you move with us or another moving company, one of the vital things to understand is the liability for household goods.
At JP Urban Moving, each move comes with free Basic Valuation coverage. This covers damaged/missing household goods at the liability of 30 cents per pound. Unless you purchase Additional Valuation, our liability is limited to $0.30/pound/article. For example, if a 20 pound item was damaged, our liability would be $6. ($0.30 x 20 pounds = $6)—regardless of the item’s value.
Additional Valuation is available for purchase with different levels of liability. It provides greater protection coverage for household goods that can easily be repaired or replaced. Please see Insurance & Valuation page for prices. The valuation level you choose will determine the type and amount of reimbursement you will receive in the unlikely event an item is damaged or lost.
HOW TO UNDERSTAND YOUR ESTIMATE
Our estimates are based on our many years of moving jobs. While we have an excellent track record of accurate estimates, the actual cost will likely be more or less. We promise to complete the move as quickly as reasonably possible.
- The hourly estimate is a statement of probable cost and not the actual cost of your move.
- There is a 2-hour minimum (for job time), not including travel time, after which we prorate in increments of 15 minutes.
- Estimate is based on job time, travel time and surcharges as applicable.
- The Estimate includes labor and truck(s) with free use of blankets, tools and dollies.
- The Estimate does not include the cost of materials used for your job (see Supplies page for prices), Staircase Fee (if applicable), Certificate of Insurance (if applicable), parking meter, tolls, or gratuities/tips for the crew.
Travel time is a fixed charge for movers. It does not cover the drive time between the pick up and drop off locations. That time is already accounted for as part of the Job time in the hourly estimate. Travel Time compensates us for the time it takes to travel from our facility in Brooklyn, NY, to your pick-up location, and back to our facility from the final location. For instance, if moving just 4 blocks within Manhattan, NJ or PA, the travel time fee will be calculated to reflect the time it takes to travel from Brooklyn to the pick up location (Manhattan, NJ or PA), and back to our base in Brooklyn from the final location.
PACKING AND UNPACKING SERVICES:
- If we are packing for you: We will box up the contents from your drawers, cabinets, shelves, and closets, room by room. Our experienced team has helped many people with packing effectively for local and long distance moving.
- If we are Unpacking for you: We will empty the contents of your boxes/bins and leave them on top of surface areas in designated rooms for you to arrange and organize at your desired level. If you want us to dispose of materials after unpacking, please let the Foreman know where the trash and recycling areas are at your destination. If there are no areas to leave the trash and recycling, we can take it to the disposal facility for a fee. The cost will be added to your contract.
DURING THE MOVE
- We wrap all furniture with blankets and tape, and if necessary cardboard corners, shrink wrap and bubble wrap. If you instruct us to not wrap/protect a piece of furniture or any other item, you will need to sign a liability waiver in order for us to proceed. We are not responsible for damage to that item on the move.
- Assembly/Disassembly/Reassembly – we are happy to do as much or as little as you like. Please be mindful that assembly/disassembly/reassembly will make the job take longer and cost more.
- Pre-existing damage – We will document any pre-existing damage and point out any items that are particularly vulnerable to being damaged during the move. Expect us to take pictures of your belongings and buildings before and during the job.
- Heavy boxes – if a box is deemed too heavy or too large to be safely moved, we will repack it, charging for the time and material necessary to do so. See our packing tips page for more info on packing boxes.
- Heavy items – if we find heavy items that were not listed on inventory, surcharges may apply.
Items that do not fit: We are not responsible for items that do not fit into or out of your home. You would have 4 options: 1) a 3rd party professional can be contacted to disassemble, move, reassemble/reupholster; 2) we can place it in a trash area designated by you; 3) we can take it back to the old place or to another location at the prevailing hourly rate; or 4) we can dispose of it or you.
Disposal: We can dispose of most items that you do not want. Your foreman would give you a price on the spot and will in most cases take it away immediately after the move.
Donation: We can donate items that you do not want as part of the hourly rate on your job. When booking, please let us know the donation center to take your items.
Hoisting: On the occasion that something that doesn’t fit and needs to be hoisted, conditions permitting, the cost would be $100-$200/per floor/per item depending on the item. The cost will be determined on the day of the job by Foreman. A waiver of liability is needed before the services can be performed. If the customer is not the property owner, the customer agrees to assume all responsibility for doors/windows etc. and/or any damage that may occur as a result.
Special Handling: On the occasion a door or window may need to be removed, or other fixtures as required for ingress and/or egress of inventory, a waiver of liability is needed from the building owner before the services can be performed.
Appliances: Be sure to list all appliances to be moved at time of estimation as surcharges may apply.
Fine Art: Please let us know during the estimation process of any paintings, sculpture or other fine art so that we can bring the appropriate materials for protection. All pictures, artwork, mirrors, etc., must be adequately protected prior to moving. Customers can prepare these items or we can do it on a time and materials basis.
Grandfather Clocks and other Mechanical Devices: Anytime we move a mechanical device like a piano or grandfather clock unavoidable shifting likely will occur. If there are any issues with device post-move, customers must service the device at their expense before they can file a claim with us saying that it is not working. Service tickets must be submitted via email before any considerations can be given for repairs.
Pianos: Pianos must be listed on the inventory when requesting an estimate. The crew needs special equipment to move pianos, and surcharges apply. Because pianos are transported on the sides, internal parts such as dampers may shift, which can result in malfunctioning mechanics (including but not limited to pedals and key action) and the piano going out of tune. It is recommended that a technician tune and adjust piano post-move at their own expense.
Special Equipments/Commercial and Mechanical Devices: Anytime we move specialized equipment, including gym and exercise machines, electronic or mechanical devices, unavoidable shifting may likely occur. Depending on the size, weight, building access, and other factors, special types of equipment may need to be disassembled to be moved and reassembled at the unload location. Customers are responsible for sourcing the equipment/device experts (or contacting the manufacturer) to dismantle and assemble specialized equipment for movers to transport it safely. If JP Urban Moving handles the dismantling and reassemble for the Customer, we will not be held liable for any damages caused when disassembling and assembling special equipment. If there are any issues with the equipment post-move, it is the customers’ responsibility to hire a technician/specialist to service the equipment at their own expense.
Particle board: We are not responsible for damage to this type of furniture because there is an inherent risk of damage when disassembling and reassembling, or when moving without disassembling.
Pre-existing cracks to glass and marble will likely get worse during the course of a move. This is unavoidable damage for which we are not liable.
AC/TV/Artwork/Paintings, etc: We are generally able to remove fixtures, but we cannot re-install them.
Apartments under construction: Please let us know if your apartment is under construction as special arrangements may be needed.
Plumbing and electric: We cannot perform plumbing services (such as connecting or disconnecting washing machines) or electric services (such as disconnecting connecting chandeliers).
Carpentry: We cannot perform any carpentry such as hanging pictures or otherwise putting holes in walls for installation purposes.
- You must personally move your cash, jewelry, bonds, deeds and any other valuable items and documents. We cannot be responsible for these items.
- You or a representative must be present for the move (in person or by phone/video) to answer questions, direct the movers and do a final walkthrough of the space.
- It is the customers responsibility to check the space after moving out, and check the truck after moving in to make sure nothing has been left behind. Ideally, customers stay till the end when the movers are finished to ensure that everything has been unpacked and nothing is missing or damaged.
REMOTE MOVE MANAGEMENT
We are able to conduct moves for customers who will not be present at the pick up or delivery locations. In these cases, customers will be required to send their instructions in writing, sign a Remote Move Management Liability form and store a debit/credit card on file in order to book the job.
We are are COD (cash on delivery) company.
Deposits: We require a non-refundable deposit by credit/debit card to book a move. Until a deposit is received, a job is not booked on the schedule.
Balance: Balance payment will be collected on the day of move upon completion. We accept all major debit and credit cards, Venmo, Paypal, Zelle and Cash (for balance payments only). Additionally, we offer a 5% discount for physical cash payment on the balance (after deposit).
Gratuities: Tipping is discretionary, but very much appreciated by the crew. If you are satisfied with your move, we suggest a gratuity of 15- 20% of the total cost of the move.
RESCHEDULING & CANCELLATION POLICY
Moving is a seasonal business, and our reservations calendar is critical to our success. As a result, last-minute changes/cancellations can have a ripple effect on our business, including workers’ schedules, income, and other customers. We decline many requests/ jobs on fully booked days, and historically, it isn’t easy to re-fill dates with short notice. Therefore we have a rescheduling/cancellation policy to ensure the stability of our business, especially during peak and seasonal times. Subject to exceptions such as difficulties related to health and emergencies.
If you need to reschedule or cancel your move: Please notify us by email as soon as possible. Change requests cannot be processed via phone/voicemail.
If you notify us 7 days or more before your move date: As a one-time courtesy, your non-refundable deposit can be transferred to another available date. Otherwise, the deposit will be forfeited for multiple rescheduling requests, and a new deposit will be required to reserve a new move date.
If you notify us less than 7 days before your move: You forfeit your deposit, and a fee of $100 will be applied. If rescheduling your move, a new deposit will be required to secure the move date. Subject to exceptions such as difficulties related to health and emergencies, etc.
Please Note: For large jobs booked with multiple trucks over multiple days, last minute cancellation can have a serious ripple effect on our small business. If you cancel within 72hrs of your move, you will be charged 30% of the estimated job cost.
A NOTE ON CAPS: In the event you are offered a CAP, rescheduling a move during peak service dates (26th through 4th, plus all holidays) does not qualify for a CAP. If you move during off-peak (5th through 25th, excluding holidays) we can consider a CAP for your job.
Additional Valuation provides greater protection for household goods. This is coverage for items that can easily be repaired or replaced, in the event of unexpected damage or lost. If you have inventory above everyday household goods like custom-built furniture, antiques, fine art, sculptures, high end equipments, irreplaceable goods and high value items—you may want to consider moving insurance options. You can purchase Moving Insurance from a third party like MovingInsurance.com with whom we are registered, or another third party provider like E-moving Insurance. Otherwise, if you have Homeowners, Renters or Business Insurance, you can check with your insurance provider to see if they can ensure your move.
Any items under Additional Valuation must have their condition thoroughly inspected and documented in photos/videos before being handled by the movers. If you choose Additional Valuation Coverage we are liable to repair or replace damaged/missing items up to the level of protection less any deductibles and depreciation.
- We reserve the right to inspect and photograph item(s) under Additional Valuation before preparing for the move.
- If electronics and devices such as TVs are listed, they will be tested to ensure they are properly functioning before preparing for the move.
- We reserve to right to inspect and repack boxes that are poorly packed (as needed).
- If you instruct us not to pack or protect any item(s) against our better judgment, we will not be held responsible for any damage(s) to the item(s) due to inadequate protection.
Additional Valuation does NOT apply to:
- Boxes packed by the customer or other parties. Unless the boxes show significant signs of impact/damage, movers are not responsible for items in the boxes.
- Moves in or out of Storage or loading/unloading other Pods/Trucks. Additional valuation does not apply to damage incurred while in storage, or on transit with pods or other trucks.
- Extraordinary/ High Value items*. This includes jewelry, paper currency, and valuable personal documents such as birth certificates and passports. Extraordinary/high value items must be transported by the customer themselves. However, if an item has extraordinary (or high) value is included in your shipment, you must specify in writing prior to your move. There is no liability for those items.
- You are also not covered for things outside the movers control. These include circumstances such as earthquakes, fires, floods, windstorm, etc.
There are times when customers do the move themselves and will hire us only to help load or unload their belongings from a Pod or Truck. When we assist customers with labor support for loading/unloading Pods or Trucks, we follow particular protocols to ensure the quality of the work for which we are responsible.
If we are packing your inventory and/or preparing your furniture for transit: To be safely and reasonably moved, your items will require materials such as boxes, bubble wrap, padding, etc., and the cost will be added to the bill on the day of the job. We will only charge for the materials we use.
If you have packed and prepared all your inventory: And we are assisting with just the loading/unloading, JP Urban Moving will not be held responsible for damage to items packed/prepared by you, other movers, or other parties unless there is evidence of mishandling.
The care with which your goods are packed determines the condition in which they arrive at your new location. If we notice fragile items such as TVs, glass, lamps, pictures, mirrors, electronics, etc., that were not adequately packed to be loaded onto a Pod/Truck, expect us to repack them properly before loading. If you instruct us not to repack, we are not responsible for any damage to the items being transported as is.
Liability for Loading/Unloading Pods/Trucks:
- We will not be held responsible for any damage(s) to the item(s) due to inadequate protection.
- We will not be held responsible for boxes packed by the customer or other parties unless the boxes show signs of mishandling (i.e., visible impact/damage to the outside of the box).
- We will not be held liable for items reported missing after your move, given that we are only loading or unloading your pod/truck and the items were transported by you, other movers, or other parties.
MOVE DETAILS AND CONDITIONS
- Crew Size is subject to change. JP Urban Moving reserves the right to send more or less workers depending on the scope of the job, availability and projected efficiency. If we need to add or reduce a worker, the hourly rate would be adjusted by $25/hr accordingly.
- On local 1-day moves, the clock starts when we arrive at the1st location and ends upon conclusion of the move (after clean up and all materials and dollies are back on the truck).
- On 2- day overnight storage moves, the clock stops on day 1 when the truck arrives back at our facility, and the clock starts on day 2 when the truck leaves our facility.
- Arrival time – Because we value your time, we have an excellent track record of prompt arrival to morning jobs, subject to the vagaries of NYC traffic. We strongly discourage booking 2nd and 3rd jobs with deadlines as we do not guarantee our arrival time.
- Time Restrictions & Deadlines – unless time restrictions/deadlines were indicated and accommodated during the estimation process, we are not responsible for missed deadlines, elevator windows, etc.
- Other building requirements and restrictions – Please let us know well in advance of the move date if any of the following are required by your building: COIs, bannister/floor protection, elevator protection,
- Traffic delays – We will take the quickest routes available, but heavy traffic is often unavoidable and will necessarily make the job take longer and cost more.
- Wait time – if for any reason the job is interrupted for reasons beyond our control, we will reduce the hourly rate during that time to $25/hour/man.
- Service entrances – Let us know when submitting your estimate request of any service entrances so that we can plan accordingly.
- Long carry – While we will park the truck as close as possible to the entrance to the building, sometimes there is no parking available nearby and we must park farther away. Please be aware that the greater the distance from the truck to the apartment, the longer the move will take and the more it will cost more.
- Steps – unless specifically waived, any portion of the move involving steps will be charged at $1/step/hour. This includes having to use stairs because of elevator breakdowns, items not fitting in the elevator, stoops and staircase to basement to access elevators.
- Additional stops – No problem if time permits, although will make the job take longer and will cost more.
Please visit the NYS DOT page for Moving Handbook and link to the Summary of Information Booklet which describes your rights as a shipper, the responsibilities of a mover, and contains important information as it