Moving from NYC to Boston
Routes - November 7, 2023
Boston is one of the most historic and culturally renowned cities in the United States. Known for its distinguished universities, world class healthcare and New England charm, it’s no wonder why so many New Yorkers move to Boston every year. If you are planning on moving from NYC to Boston, NYC movers prepared a few things you should know!
Boston vs NYC
Boston, in many ways, is like New York’s more mature, older sibling. The two cities share a lot in common, including a robust public transit system, vibrant sports culture, a temperate climate and stunning coastal scenery. And, like New York, Boston is home to dozens of museums and acclaimed cultural venues.
Take it easy in Boston…
Though Boston is only a 4.5 hour drive from New York, the lifestyles in the two cities are strikingly different. The pace of life in Boston is far more casual and laid back. Boston is not a 24/7 city like New York. When moving New York to Boston, you will not find bodegas on every corner that are open all night. Unlike NYC, which is known for its glamorous bars and chic clubs, Boston has a far more down-to-earth nightlife scene. In Boston, you may find that locals prefer a cozy Irish pub to a lavish cocktail bar. Moreover, Massachusetts law decrees that alcohol cannot be sold after 2am, which means that you will probably get to spend more time in bed. The slower pace of Boston can do wonders for your stress levels. Furthermore, Boston is not as dense of a city as New York, which means that you may have more room to breathe! Moving to Boston means you can get a break from the fast-paced and ever-changing lifestyle of NYC.
Boston is cheaper, but still expensive!
The cost of living in Boston is 15.6% cheaper than in New York. However, don’t get too excited. Despite being cheaper than New York, Boston is still one of the most expensive cities in the United States. That being said, there are ways you will get more bang for your buck in Boston, especially when it comes to rent, entertainment, utilities and taxes.
Cost of Living (Boston vs. New York)
- Entertainment: The average movie ticket in NYC is $18.08, while in Boston, a movie ticket will cost you $15.35.
- Rent & Real Estate: Renting a 1 bedroom apartment in the center of Boston will run you around $1200 cheaper than in NYC. In Boston, you can expect to pay around $3,000 a month in rent for a 1-bed. In terms of Real Estate prices, purchasing a property in Boston will be 30% cheaper than in NYC.
- Utilities: When it comes to heat, gas, wifi and electricity, you can expect to save around 22% more money on monthly utilities in Boston. That being said, you will still end up paying around $150-$200 a month on utilities.
- Taxes: Moving to Boston may serve as a tax break to many New Yorkers. In Boston, residents pay a flat state tax of 5.6% on their income, while New York has a graduated state income tax where high earners can expect to pay up to 8.82% of their salary in taxes.
But, don’t expect your money to start piling up after moving to Boston, as the cost of living is still high.
Boston has stellar public schools!
It’s true that NYC has a wonderful public school system. However, Massachusetts has been consistently regarded as the best state in the U.S. for public education. The schools in Boston can be a huge draw for families with young kids. In Boston, your kids will have greater access to school resources and an improved educational experience. In terms of public school funding, Boston spends 55.9% more on each student than in New York City.
Some facts about NYC…
- New York City is often referred to as the greatest city in the world. However, some Bostonians may disagree.
- NYC is the second most expensive city in the US to live in, right after San Francisco.
- NYC has five boroughs, and each one has its own unique peculiarities and interesting history.
- Depending on where you live, using a car in NYC can be next to impossible.
- You might find yourself sharing a small apartment with two (or more) roommates.
- There are over 600 different languages spoken in NYC!
…and some facts about Boston
- Boston is one of the oldest cities in the US, which means you will have plenty of historic landmarks to visit.
- Boston is home to the oldest public park in the United States.
- There is no happy hour (New Yorkers, pay attention)!
- Boston is known for its delicious Seafood and authentic Sichuan cuisine!
- The first chocolate factory in the United States originated in Boston.
- Some of the biggest Hollywood stars were born and raised in this city (Ben Affleck & Matt Damon!).
- Boston is colder and snowier than NYC. In NYC, you can expect 25 inches of annual snowfall; in Boston you’ll experience an average of 48 inches of snow a year.
- Like NYC’s MTA subway system, Boston has an excellent public transportation system (known as the MBTA or ‘The T’).
Despite the long-standing baseball rivalry between the two cities, there are many reasons for moving to Boston from NYC such as the lower cost of living, improved public school system and slower pace of life.
Movers NYC to Boston
Everyday, JP Urban Moving Brooklyn gets a call from someone inquiring about movers from NYC to Boston. Keep in mind that the price of this move may vary according to your
Here are a few things you should know to help you financially prepare for the move:
Although the moving job can be completed in a single day, moving from New York to Boston is classified as a long-distance move.
The cost of the move will largely depend on the size of your home or apartment. On average, when moving from a one-bedroom apartment, licensed NYC to Boston movers will cost around $1900.
When it comes to planning an out-of-state move, it can be beneficial to hire experienced movers than go about it yourself. Professional moving companies are insured and equipped to safely and securely relocate your belongings. Movers can also pack up your belongings and assemble (or disassemble) your furniture.
The expertise, precision and care provided by professional New York to Boston Movers can save you money and give you peace of mind. When you hire expert movers, you won’t have to worry about accidentally damaging your furniture or paying for parking tickets.
For a more specific estimate on the cost of movers from New York to Boston, be sure to request a free quote. In terms of calculating the cost of moving, we take into account the total distance of the move, the volume of your belongings and any add-on services you may require.
Moving company NYC to Boston
JP Urban Moving is a professional local and long distance moving company based in Brooklyn, New York. We are a small, family-owned business that prioritizes the needs of our clients. We have extensive experience with relocating our customers from NYC to other states such as Florida, DC, New Jersey, Connecticut, Manhattan, Philly. If you are considering moving from New York to Boston, call us today for a free estimate.