How to label boxes for moving?
Moving guides - May 28, 2019
The moving process is difficult and it takes a lot of time. Planning everything in advance, organizing, sorting out your budget and making checklists will reduce the moving stress and headaches. However, being under the pressure while you are preparing for the move is a normal thing that we all go through. Hiring a professional mover can also help a lot, but things such as transferring utilities, changing address or search for a good school for your kids are things that you will have to take care of by yourself. But today, we will talk about how to label boxes for moving and make your unpacking process easy!
Label boxes for moving like a pro
First of all, you will need to hire professional Rambo movers in order to relocate all your belongings safely to your other location. If you get full-moving services from your professional mover, they will provide all the necessary materials and equipment for the move.
On the other hand, you can pack and label your boxes by yourself but you will have to buy proper markers and labels in advance. Let’s see now what do you need to know in order to label boxes for moving properly!
- Before labeling moving boxes
- When is the good time for labeling
- Label moving boxes using colors
- Label moving boxes using numbers
- Bonus tips!
Before labeling moving boxes
Why is labeling moving boxes important? Well, this is a very easy task to do and it will make your unpacking process easier. However, there are a few things that you should do in order to prepare for proper labeling.
- Buy good-quality markers. Get new, high-quality markers to label your cardboard boxes. Yes, you probably have some old markers at home but if they stop working during the packing process you will regret ever using them. Therefore, just spend a few bucks more and get high-quality markers. You should also get at least five different colors. Waterproof markers will prevent color from smudging or washing away in case you are moving on a rainy day.
- Get moving box labels. You can save some time if you use pre-printed labels on some cardboard boxes. If you have a lot of time, you can be creative and design your own labels. But, you can also purchase box labels from your professional mover or download those from the internet and print them at your home.
- Inspect second-hand boxes. If you are using second-hand boxes, you should inspect them before you start packing. See if they have old labels and if they do, remove them. Old labels can cause confusion for you and your mover. You won’t have to think of moving boxes NYC and other packing materials if you hire a professional mover.
When is a good time for labeling?
After getting color markers and packing labels, it is the perfect time to choose how would you like to label your boxes. There are two different ways, number coding system, and color coding system!
You should NOT label boxes before you pack them because you won’t know what each box may contain. You should also NOT label your boxes long after you pack them because there is a chance for you to forget what is in that box. The timing of labeling is very important. The perfect time is right after you fill the cardboard box, close it and seal it with packing tape! In addition, you can reuse your moving boxes after the relocation is over.
Label moving boxes using colors
First one of two methods for labeling moving boxes is by using a color coding system. How does that work? You will use different colors for different rooms. For example, Red color on the box means that it contains living room items. The blue color on the box means that it contains bathroom stuff etc. This method is easier than the number coding system because it’s effective, simple and it has the minimum chance to place the boxes in the wrong rooms. However, if you are still struggling with packing supplies, you should discover what packing supplies should you use and it will be much easier.
Label moving boxes using numbers
The second method for labeling moving boxes is by using a number coding system. How does that work, exactly? Simple, after you pack and close each box, you will have to mark a box with a number. This method will save you some time since you won’t have to write the contents on the box itself. You will have to make a master inventory list, however, where you will write what each box contains and the number on the box. Take good care of the list because your unpacking will be hard if your list disappears. If you need some packing tips, learn how to pack like a pro and get faster yet more precise.
Here are some bonus tips for labeling your boxes!
- Where to label your boxes? Every moving box should be labeled on top and at least two sides. This method will save you some time because you will need just a few seconds to identify where each cardboard box should go.
- What to write on boxes? The information that you should put on each box when you label it is destination room, contents, and handling instruction. Handling instruction will help you and movers not to damage any of your items packed in the box. So, every box that contains sensitive items should be labeled with “FRAGILE, THIS SIDE UP or HANDLE WITH CARE“.
- Valuable items. You should keep valuable items with you in your car all the time.
- How to attach the labels to a box? If you want to be secure that label won’t fell off in the transport, you should put transparent packing tape over the label to secure it. The other way is to glue labels to the box.
After a successful move, the only thing you have left to do is to meet your new neighbors and enjoy your new life!
Those were useful tips on how to label boxes when moving! However, if you decide to hire a professional to do the job instead of you, your Urban Moving Brooklyn is always there to assist and help!